The Driving Lessons Grant Programme, run by the Motability charity, is offering free driving lessons to thousands of people who are eligible for certain benefits. This little-known scheme is specifically designed to assist disabled individuals in obtaining a full driving license. Even those who hold a provisional license can benefit from this programme as it helps to cover the cost of lessons required to obtain a full license.
Additionally, if you have recently had adaptations made to your vehicle, such as the installation of a dual brake, you may require familiarisation lessons, which are also covered by the grant. The Driving Lessons Grant Programme offers up to 40 hours of lessons and a free study pack to help you pass your theory test. However, it’s important to note that while the programme covers the cost of lessons, you will still need to pay for your own theory and practical tests. Take advantage of this opportunity to enhance your driving skills and gain independence on the road.
To be eligible for the Driving Lessons Grant Programme, you must be receiving certain benefits, which include one of the following:
- Enhanced Rate of the Mobility Component of PIP,
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Disability Living Allowance,
- Higher Rate Mobility Component of Child Disability Payment,
- Enhanced Rate Mobility Component of the Adult Disability Payment (ADP),
- War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement, or Armed Forces Independence Payment.
Additionally, you may also qualify if you receive Universal Credit, Income Support, Employment and Support Allowance (income-related), Job Seekers Allowance (income-based), Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Pension Guarantee Credit, Working Tax Credit, or Child Tax Credit.
To meet the eligibility criteria, you must also fit into one of the following categories:
- have a current vehicle, scooter, or powered wheelchair lease agreement on the Motability Scheme;
- have a pending application for a vehicle on the Motability Scheme, with a confirmed delivery date within the next four months;
- or require familiarisation lessons to drive a grant-funded vehicle.
- By meeting these criteria, you could be on your way to obtaining a full driving license with the assistance of the Driving Lessons Grant Programme.
To apply for the Driving Lessons Grant Programme, you need to request an online form by calling 0800 500 3186 between 8am and 6pm Monday to Friday. Once you have received the online login details, you have 30 days to fill in the form. Before making the call, make sure you have your National Insurance number ready.
After submitting your application, a case manager will be allocated to your case, and it can take up to 10 weeks for a decision on the grant. It’s important to note that grants are awarded on a case-by-case basis, so receiving one is not guaranteed. If you claim benefits, there are other freebies you may be eligible for, such as cost of living payments and energy grants. It’s always worth exploring the different options available to you to make the most out of the benefits you are entitled to.